Sunday, November 16, 2014

Green Cleaning

The next step on the road to crunchiness was to rid our home of harmful chemical cleaners. At first I thought it was as easy as buying an organic cleaner. So I did it. I joined  the Healthy Home Company and bought Clean, a 10 in 1 cleaner. I love it, I even made this meme
Yes, it can be used to wash your dog too.
It really does replace all of those products. It's absolutely wonderful. My only problem was the high price tag. $29.95 for non-members, $19.95 for members.
It does last awhile, and I could justify it every which way to Sunday, especially because I love it. But I knew there had to be a more budget friendly option. So I went back to my ebooks from the Healthy Living Bundle. There is a whole category on green cleaning. I started reading and soon face-palmed. Vinegar, baking soda, and blue Dawn. Duh! Of course you can add essential oils and there are other household products that can add oomph to certain jobs (toothpaste to clean headlights anyone?). But basically, you can do anything with those 3 cheap tools.
New meme!!

Now, I won't be replacing everything. Finish tabs will continue to be my dishwasher soap of choice. Tide is still the only thing I trust to get my clothes and cloth diapers clean without leaving a soap residue (which can cause repelling and ammonia build up in diapers). I also keep bleach around for when I buy used diapers. You have to pick and choose what works best for your family and your comfort level.

My current go-to, all purpose cleaner recipe is:
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1/2 tsp Blue Dawn
2 cups Water
3-5 drops Essential Oil (optional)

I also use 'Blue Soap' for more heavy duty scrubbing jobs:
2 parts Blue Dawn
1 part White Vinegar
1 part Hydrogen Peroxide
shake before each use. sprinkle some baking soda on first if its a set in or burned on stain, gives you a little extra scrubbing power.

Chime in. What are the worst chemical offenders in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment